Friday, October 17, 2008

Meeting the prosecutor...

I took my daughter to meet the prosecutor this afternoon. Now that we know the case is moving forward and that she may be expected to testify, it's time to learn a bit about what to expect. She asked DD (dear daughter) some simple questions, the likes of which she might hear in a competency hearing, where it would be determined if she knows the difference between the truth and a lie. Example: If I tell you that this wall is blue, would that be the truth or a lie?

She explained that although NB (neighbor boy) would be in the room for the trial, DD wouldn't necessarily have to look at him while she answered questions. She could look down, or at her mom, or straight at the prosecutor or anywhere she wanted. At some point, she would be asked if NB is in the courtroom, and to point him out and say what he's wearing.

She let us know that it was likely that there would be additional delays to the case. We should not be surprised if there are additional postponements. I guess they are extremely common.

She believes that DD will be an excellent witness, and that the fact that she has already met and talked with her will help her when she first talks to the defense attorney about the case.

I'm still hoping that NB will admit to at least some of the charges and reach a plea agreement with the prosecutor, so that DD won't have to testify at all. I'm not holding my breath for that, though.

The first pretrial is scheduled for October 29th.

1 comment:

Mrs. Wolfe said...

Good luck at the pretrial on Wednesday. I will be thinking of you and your daughter. I also hope, for your daughter's sake that NB admits to what he has done and takes plea agreement to prevent you daughter from testifying. I hope it all ends in your favor.

Post a Comment